Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Christopher Reeve's Son Announces Creation of Accessible Toys: 'Everyone Deserves the Chance to Play'
- Read the Cover Story: Prince, 1958-2016
- Game of Thrones Fans Are Freaking Out About Sunday's Shocker
- All the Highlights – and Winners – from the American Country Countdown Awards
- One Happy Family! Dr. Oz and Daphne Oz Both Take Home Daytime Emmys
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 18, 1975
- Vol. 4
- No. 7
Sherri Koning can't spell and had a B-minus average as she graduated from high school in June. That didn't stop the American Medical Association from whisking her from her home in Battle Creek, Mich. to address the annual AMA convention in Atlantic City two weeks later. Sherri's senior biology project had resulted in a significant medical advance: a way to detect cancer in plants through the use of Kirlian photography. It captures on film the auras, thought to be electromagnetic, that surround living matter and was developed by a Soviet couple (named Kirlian) in the '30s. But Sherri was one of the first to demonstrate how Kirlian images can differentiate cancerous cells from healthy ones. Though the AMA conventioneers were fascinated by the possibility that the diagnostic technique could be refined for use on human tissue, homespun Sherri staunchly resisted frequent suggestions that she make a career in medical research. The daughter of a grocer, Sherri, 18, is happy waitressing in a pizza shack until she begins courses in occupational therapy at a local community college this fall.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!