Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- 8 Things We'd Buy for Summer from Reese Witherspoon's Draper James Site
- Read the Cover Story: The Duggars' Dark Secrets
- Toronto Teen Gets in Trouble for Crop Top, Gets 500 Classmates to Wear Them to School the Next Day
- Friday Actor Reynaldo Rey Dies at 75
- Drew Barrymore Gets Her Groove On at Dance-Party Workout Class
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- January 12, 1976
- Vol. 5
- No. 1
A New Mayor (Heads) Is Elected, the Old One (Tails) Leaves
Four weeks later, wives by their sides, both candidates appeared at the King County court house in nearby Seattle, where Ralph Dillon of the county clerk's office was waiting with a shiny new Kennedy half dollar. As newsmen jostled for position, Dillon tossed the coin aloft as Nelson called "heads!", then unceremoniously dropped it. "I was afraid of that," he muttered. To the hoot of laughter, he retrieved the coin, flipped it again, still to the call of "heads!" and slapped it down on the back of his hand. "Heads!" he cried, staring down at the Kennedy profile. "Mr. Nelson wins!"
Momentarily stunned by the caprice of four-bitsmanship, Tufarolo recovered quickly, wished Nelson luck and started slowly for the door. "Maybe it's time for someone else to take over," he murmured with tears in his eyes. Winner Nelson seemed equally misty, but quickly recovered his poise. "No matter the method," he declared stoutly, "I still think it was the right choice."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!