Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- WATCH: 17 Hours, 3,000 Miles and 5 Cities: Inside Drake White's 'Livin' the Dream' Charity Blitz
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- FROM EW: Eva Longoria to Direct Jane the Virgin Episode
- Amber Heard Calls Out Johnny Depp for Using Charity Donation as 'His Tax Deduction'
- The Election Has Made Oprah Winfrey Wish She Had a TV Show Again So She 'Could Explain What Is Happening'
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- February 23, 1976
- Vol. 5
- No. 7
Mark Edmondson remembers meeting John Newcombe last December in the dressing room before the start of the Australian Open Tennis Championships. Newcombe, ranked 18th in the world, was on hand to defend his Australian title. "I was the only one there so he asked me to practice," says Edmondson. "I thought, 'Crikey, he hits hard. I hope I don't have to play him.' " Surprisingly, the unranked Edmondson, 21, went on not only to play Newcombe but to beat him in the finals. Edmondson thus became the first unseeded player to win the 70-year-old competition. When Edmondson began playing tennis at 10, he did not seem particularly gifted. In fact, when he was 12, local experts in his hometown of c suggested a switch to swimming or rugby. But Edmondson was convinced that tennis would offer greater financial rewards. After three years of playing local and international tennis circuits, Edmondson's bankroll had shriveled to $889. He had to take odd jobs—mopping floors and selling flowers—to finance his tennis touring. His victory over Newcombe netted him $10,358. "Newcombe told me how to play the center court," says Edmondson. "Perhaps he wouldn't have been so helpful if he knew he would be meeting me in the final."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!