Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- See All the Winners from the Kids' Choice Awards!
- The Style Top 5: Amal Clooney Brings Her Glam Street Style to NYC, Iggy Azalea Gets Candid About Her Body and More
- Lions vs. Crocodile: This Time, It's Personal (VIDEO)
- Inside Story: How Brittany Maynard Became a 'Death with Dignity' Advocate
- Angelina Jolie Makes Her First Post-Surgery Appearance
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- February 23, 1976
- Vol. 5
- No. 7
Mark Edmondson remembers meeting John Newcombe last December in the dressing room before the start of the Australian Open Tennis Championships. Newcombe, ranked 18th in the world, was on hand to defend his Australian title. "I was the only one there so he asked me to practice," says Edmondson. "I thought, 'Crikey, he hits hard. I hope I don't have to play him.' " Surprisingly, the unranked Edmondson, 21, went on not only to play Newcombe but to beat him in the finals. Edmondson thus became the first unseeded player to win the 70-year-old competition. When Edmondson began playing tennis at 10, he did not seem particularly gifted. In fact, when he was 12, local experts in his hometown of c suggested a switch to swimming or rugby. But Edmondson was convinced that tennis would offer greater financial rewards. After three years of playing local and international tennis circuits, Edmondson's bankroll had shriveled to $889. He had to take odd jobs—mopping floors and selling flowers—to finance his tennis touring. His victory over Newcombe netted him $10,358. "Newcombe told me how to play the center court," says Edmondson. "Perhaps he wouldn't have been so helpful if he knew he would be meeting me in the final."
March 28, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!