Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Miranda Kerr Shows off Her Engagement Ring from Snapchat Founder Evan Spiegel (on Snapchat of Course!)
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- Gene Wilder 'Was In a Class By Himself' Says Young Frankenstein Co-Star Cloris Leachman In Touching Tribute
- Diane Kruger Gives C.J. Parker a Run for Her Money in Red One-Piece Swimsuit
- Stanford Sexual Assault Convict Brock Turner to Be Released From Jail on Friday
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- March 29, 1976
- Vol. 5
- No. 12
Mike Reid Shifts from Rock 'em, Sock 'em to Soft Rock
The amiable Reid, who began playing piano at age 6 in Altoona, Pa., appeared with the Cincinnati, Dallas and San Antonio symphonies while a Bengal. Now he fronts a soft-rock foursome with a repertoire of easy, countrified sounds. Recently the group appeared at Reno Sweeney in Manhattan and ran through a tight and pleasant 35-minute set. It was their best booking yet after playing small clubs in Ohio and Pennsylvania at about $200 a week. Sounding like a slightly higher-voiced Gordon Light-foot, Reid performed his own works and led the combo through a reggae-esque version of Joni Mitchell's Carey.
Some 30 pounds lighter since retirement, Reid misses "the very close contact with my teammates. But," he adds, "I don't miss preseason camp or hurting on Mondays." Though his earnings are a tenth of what they once were, the unmarried Reid claims, "My life-style hasn't changed greatly. My house in Cincinnati has always been completely empty except for a stereo, records, a baby grand piano and two beanbag chairs."
Reid will continue to showcase his act in New York and Florida in search of a recording contract. "I have no aching dream to be a giant rock star," says Reid. As he puts it in Road Musician, "I get such a twinge from my musical binge and my little band suits me fine."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!