Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Video: Kit Harrington and Emilia Clarke Sing in Chris Martin's Game of Thrones: The Musical
- Read the Cover Story – Tess Holliday: The World's First Size 22 Supermodel!
- Watch Dwayne Johnson and Jimmy Fallon's 1989 Graduation Speech
- Photo: Jennifer Lawrence and Nicholas Hoult Reunite on the Set of X-Men: Apocalypse
- Suspect in Mansion Murders Arrested in Washington D.C.
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 14, 1976
- Vol. 5
- No. 23
A Greek Monk Strikes Below the Belt in a Campaign to Eliminate Nude Statues
The object of his rage was a plaster replica of an ancient bronze statue of the sea god Poseidon, depicted sans fig leaf. Koulas, 41, hiding a heavy iron hammer beneath his robes, had sought out the sculpture in the lobby of the Ministry of Education and Religion in Athens in March. He was whacking his way up the statue's legs when he was wrestled to the floor.
"God will punish him," the monk muttered of the judge after sentencing. "He should agree that the only Greek statues permissible are those of ancient warriors dressed in armor."
"Disgraceful!" added a young woman supporter, who was promptly jailed for 24 hours for her courtroom outburst. Her encouragement may not have been appreciated by the prison-bound monk anyway. Koulas' monastery on Mount Athos bans from the premises all females—both human and animal.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!