Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Kim and Rob Kardashian Send Loving Messages to Bruce Jenner
- The Style Top 5: Gigi Hadid Shares Her Beauty Don'ts, Blake Lively's Million Dollar Style Week and More
- Laverne Cox Congratulates Bruce Jenner: 'It Is Always Brave to Stand in One's Truth'
- Mark Wahlberg Makes a $250,000 Bet with Diddy on the Mayweather vs. Pacquaio Fight
- It's a Girl for Owain Yeoman
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 14, 1976
- Vol. 5
- No. 23
Kathy Castle was 21 and a recent graduate in zoology from the University of Michigan when she was offered a job at the Detroit Zoo. She became the youngest member, and the only female, on a staff of 45 zookeepers. "I was really surprised," recalls Kathy, who had held various summer jobs there. "Openings at the zoo move very slowly. Usually you have to wait for someone to die or retire." Now 23, Kathy is in charge of a section of the reptile house with a population of snakes, amphibians, scorpions, black widow spiders and a stump-tail skink (above), a kind of lizard. Though her main responsibility is the care of the reptiles, she also must sweep and sometimes wax the floors of the exhibit hall early in a workday that begins at 7 a.m. Along with the other zookeepers, she shares the duty of preparing food for the reptiles—from chopping oranges and hard-boiled eggs to raising rats (the live food necessary for some snakes) and rabbits (for the large pythons). Kathy thought she might go on to become a veterinarian, but changed her mind after she realized that few vets have the variety of animals and duties she has. William Austin, curator of education at the zoo and Kathy's boss, says, "At one time women in zoo work were an oddity, but there has been a change in recent years. As for Kathy, she is one of the best."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!