Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,173 covers and 55,054 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Yes! Michael Keaton Says He Wants to Make Beetlejuice Sequel
- The Style Top 5: Sarah Jessica Parker Brings Her Shoe Line to Zappos, Katy Perry Preps for the Super Bowl and More
- It's a Boy for Chris O'Dowd
- Who Brightened Yolanda Foster's Day with Get Well Flowers?
- You’ll Never Guess Where Kim & Kanye Went with Chrissy Teigen & John Legend on a Double Date
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Sunday February 01, 2015 04:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 21, 1976
- Vol. 5
- No. 24
Soapy Williams Gets Mugged but Keeps a Stiff Lower Lip
Williams, 65, now justice of the state supreme court, was en route to the apartment of Barbara Patterson, 36, his vacationing administrative assistant. His mission: to water her plants. Outside her condominium the 6'3" Williams was knocked down and then dragged inside. His assailants tied and gagged him and took his watch and $170. "I didn't know whether they were armed," he said. Wisely, he did not resist.
Williams wriggled loose and summoned help. He needed seven stitches, most of them in his lower lip, and was then driven home to the plush suburb of Grosse Point Farms, far from the mugging crowd. Would he urge Miss Patterson, a striking redhead, to give up her digs?
"No, I'm proud of her. She says that she will stay in her home," said Williams. "She will, however, take more security precautions."
Williams added that he would not be afraid to walk the Detroit streets again. "I'm more interested than ever to help our cities emerge from this climate of fear," he vowed.
January 31, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!