Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Camila Alves Launches Premium – and Affordable! – Organic Baby Food Line for Target
- Read the Cover Story: Céline Dion: 'I Lost the Love of My Life'
- WATCH: Thomas Rhett and Nick Jonas, and Charles Kelley and Rob Thomas Join Forces for CMT Crossroads
- Inside the Etan Patz Murder Case Re-Trial: Who Is Pedro Hernandez, the Man Accused of Killing the 6-year-old 37 Years Ago?
- WATCH: Paris Jackson Pays Tribute to Dad Michael Jackson with New Tattoo Featuring Dangerous Cover Art
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 21, 1976
- Vol. 5
- No. 24
Soapy Williams Gets Mugged but Keeps a Stiff Lower Lip
Williams, 65, now justice of the state supreme court, was en route to the apartment of Barbara Patterson, 36, his vacationing administrative assistant. His mission: to water her plants. Outside her condominium the 6'3" Williams was knocked down and then dragged inside. His assailants tied and gagged him and took his watch and $170. "I didn't know whether they were armed," he said. Wisely, he did not resist.
Williams wriggled loose and summoned help. He needed seven stitches, most of them in his lower lip, and was then driven home to the plush suburb of Grosse Point Farms, far from the mugging crowd. Would he urge Miss Patterson, a striking redhead, to give up her digs?
"No, I'm proud of her. She says that she will stay in her home," said Williams. "She will, however, take more security precautions."
Williams added that he would not be afraid to walk the Detroit streets again. "I'm more interested than ever to help our cities emerge from this climate of fear," he vowed.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!