Archive Page - 08/16/13 40 years, 2,169 covers and 54,876 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Lauren Scruggs and Jason Kennedy: Inside Their Wedding
- The Style Top 5: The Best Star Style From the PEOPLE Magazine Awards
- New Jersey Strip Club Used in The Sopranos Robbed of $30K
- Will Reeve on Robin Williams: He Loved My Father 'Fiercely'
- VIDEO: Let Darlene Love Get You in the 'Christmas' Spirit on Letterman
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Sunday December 21, 2014 04:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 28, 1976
- Vol. 5
- No. 25
The Newest Lady in Richard Burton's Life Is a 9-year-old Named Merlin
Burton was on the island to seek a quickie divorce from Elizabeth Taylor (it was delayed), and to scout out a location for a movie based on a Dylan Thomas story, which he will co-produce and star in. But, as Burton walked into the curious crowd, he all but forgot the serious side of his visit when he spied Merlin Lafalaise, a 9-year-old with saucer eyes. It was infatuation at first sight. Burton squeezed the little girl's hand and struck up a conversation in French. Then he invited her to dine with him at Pension Craft, Jacmel's fanciest restaurant, on eggplant, red snapper and vanilla cake. After dinner Burton and Merlin danced the merengue—while Susan applauded.
The best was yet to come for the little girl. Burton whisked her aboard the helicopter for a 15-minute flight. When he returned Merlin to her family, Burton shouted, "I'll be back in a year to make a film." As her envious chums crowded around her, Merlin coolly explained, "I went for a ride today with my new white father."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!