Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Taylor Swift's Most Winning Moments at the iHeartRadio Music Awards
- The Style Top 5: Amal Clooney Brings Her Glam Street Style to NYC, Iggy Azalea Gets Candid About Her Body and More
- VIDEO: What Happens When Teen Mom OG's Amber Is Ambushed by Gary's New Girlfriend?
- What's It Like to Get Caught Up In a 'Tornado' With Little Big Town?
- Is Hugh Jackman Done with Wolverine? See His Cryptic Instagram Photo
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 02, 1977
- Vol. 7
- No. 17
The City with Big Shoulders Gets a 10-story Baseball Bat by Oldenburg
Oldenburg's latest work was commissioned for the new Social Security Administration Building located on Chicago's skid row. But the sculptor, who grew up in Chicago where his father was Swedish consul, means to salute America's national pastime. "Chicago is a baseball town," he affirms, "and Chicago is vertical."
When Oldenburg conceived of a bat 10 years ago, he imagined it would sit on a Chicago street corner and spin. When the actual commission came through in 1975, Oldenburg bought six toy bats as models instead. "I collect toys the way other sculptors collect pieces of anatomy," he explains. "With toys you get simplified forms." But not too simple. Batcolumn consists of 1,608 pieces of steel welded together.
There was some grumbling about spending $100,000 of the taxpayers' money on a baseball bat (Oldenburg, 48, says it all went into the work itself). Could the big stick with all those holes in it symbolize Chicago's less-than-successful baseball teams? Maybe, conceded White Sox owner Bill Veeck, who added, "I wish I had a guy who could swing it."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!