Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- KUWTK Recap: Kris Jenner Plans a Surprise Graduation Party for Kendall and Kylie
- Read the Cover Story: Adele’s Triumphant Return: How Love Changed Her Life
- Kobe Bryant Announces This Season Will Be His Last: Read His Emotional Good-Bye
- Caitlyn Jenner Gets Bangs! – See Her New Look
- John Legend Throws Chrissy Teigen a Birthday Bash at a Comedy Club – and Dave Chappelle Was There!
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 23, 1977
- Vol. 7
- No. 20
Garrett Epps, 27, wrote his first novel in a Roanoke, Va. shack with no stove or indoor toilet. Chickens next door woke him at 6:30 every morning and he would stare at the ceiling and think, "If I don't finish my book, I'll be living like this the rest of my life." With that motivation, Epps, a former editor of the Harvard Crimson, has now published The Shad Treatment, which is about Southern politics. The novel was chosen as an alternate by the Book-of-the-Month Club. Epps, the son of a Richmond attorney, worked on two local newspapers before quitting to spend two and a half years on his book. "As a reporter I saw how blacks, the poor and outsiders were not given their full democratic rights," says Epps. "In my development of 'Mac' [the main character], I wanted to show how painful it is to be on the wrong side of a very powerful and intolerant social structure." Though some Richmond citizens think they recognize the novel's characters, Epps says, "Southern people accept what you do and don't take it personally. They simply say, 'Well, that's ole Garrett, and that's his way.' "
November 26, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!