Archive Page - 08/16/13 40 years, 2,169 covers and 54,876 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- New Kids on the Block's Jonathan Knight Will Compete on The Amazing Race
- The Style Top 5: The Best Star Style From the PEOPLE Magazine Awards
- Kim Kardashian Wore Fur-Lined Strappy Stilettos, and Yes, There are Photos
- What's the One Thing Mulaney Star Martin Short Likes to Cook?
- Alexis Shapiro: Losing Weight, Loving Life
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Friday December 19, 2014 10:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 13, 1977
- Vol. 7
- No. 23
Having Writ, the Authors Move On—for Some Tub-thumping at This Year's Booksellers' Bash
Seizing the chance to work their wiles on bookstore owners and critics were the likes of Brooke Hayward, Garson Kanin, Art Buchwald, Melvin Belli, Joyce Haber and Leon Uris. Chitchat ran from such white-hot domestic currency as microwave cuisine to Daniel Schorr's down-the-nose opinion of David Frost: "a showman who studies his part very well—the part of a newsman."
For those unmoved by erudition in bulk, there were plenty of publishing freebies to grease the wheels of commerce—buttons, bookmarks, T-shirts, pastries, calendars and cocktails. And lest anyone suspect that literati aren't lusty, a popular poster bragged that BOOKSELLERS MAKE BETTER LOVERS. "It's definitely a meat rack," observed one critic. The cutlets were hardly complaining.
December 19, 2014
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!