Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- WATCH: Farrah Abraham Opens Up About Posting Modeling Photos of Her Daughter on Social Media
- Read the Cover Story: JFK Jr.: The John We Loved
- WATCH: Rita Wieber on Jordyn Winning the 2012 Olympics: 'It Was One of the Proudest Moments for Our Whole Family'
- 911! Kim Kardashian West Chips Her Tooth on Her Way to Vegas
- From Speaking Spanish to His Harmonica 'Fall-Back' Career: 5 Things to Know About Tim Kaine
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 27, 1977
- Vol. 7
- No. 25
When the Fan Fair Plays in Nashville, the Stars Come Out to Sign
Lured by the prospect of a cousinly week of nonstop music, Country & Western fans came from as far away as Europe and Australia to mingle (at $30 a head) with the likes of Charley Pride, Buck Owens, Barbara Mandrell and David Allan Coe, not to mention such improbable acts as Tokyo's Jimmie Tokita and one C & W group from down-home Czechoslovakia. Rural authenticity lost a little something when news of no-shows Tammy Wynette (having wisdom teeth pulled) and Country Music Entertainer of the Year Mel Tillis (hospitalized for a checkup) met with Bronx cheers. Those struck blind by the celebrity megawattage onstage faced overcharging hucksters of everything from cameras to cowboy boots, and posters to plastic letter openers.
Still, the affection of attending stars for their public was clear and overriding. (The entertainers appeared without pay.) "These are the most loyal people in America," said Pride. Why? As a 38-year-old grandmother from Tennessee put it: "People can relate to this kind of music. It makes them think of all the things they could have done—or shouldn't have."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!