Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,173 covers and 55,054 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Heidi Pratt's Father Arrested on Child Sex Abuse Charges
- The Style Top 5: Sarah Jessica Parker Brings Her Shoe Line to Zappos, Katy Perry Preps for the Super Bowl and More
- Harry Potter Star Robbie Coltrane Hospitalized in Florida
- Kim Kardashian's Ultimate Instagram? See Her and Kanye with President Obama
- Val Kilmer Rushed to the Hospital for Throat Tumor: Report
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Friday January 30, 2015 10:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 27, 1977
- Vol. 7
- No. 25
When the Fan Fair Plays in Nashville, the Stars Come Out to Sign
Lured by the prospect of a cousinly week of nonstop music, Country & Western fans came from as far away as Europe and Australia to mingle (at $30 a head) with the likes of Charley Pride, Buck Owens, Barbara Mandrell and David Allan Coe, not to mention such improbable acts as Tokyo's Jimmie Tokita and one C & W group from down-home Czechoslovakia. Rural authenticity lost a little something when news of no-shows Tammy Wynette (having wisdom teeth pulled) and Country Music Entertainer of the Year Mel Tillis (hospitalized for a checkup) met with Bronx cheers. Those struck blind by the celebrity megawattage onstage faced overcharging hucksters of everything from cameras to cowboy boots, and posters to plastic letter openers.
Still, the affection of attending stars for their public was clear and overriding. (The entertainers appeared without pay.) "These are the most loyal people in America," said Pride. Why? As a 38-year-old grandmother from Tennessee put it: "People can relate to this kind of music. It makes them think of all the things they could have done—or shouldn't have."
January 30, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!