Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Stephen Fishbach's Survivor Blog: A Power Couple Witch Hunt and the Ascent of a Swinger Alliance?
- Read the Cover Story: Avril Lavigne Opens Up About Her Secret Health Crisis
- Hilary Duff's Favorite Mother-Son Activity: 'I've Been Trying to Get Him Into Cooking'
- WATCH: This Adorable Disney World Proposal Is Fairy-Tale Material
- Over 50 Greyhounds Found Dead in Australia, Officials Looking into Racing Connections
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 26, 1977
- Vol. 8
- No. 13
Darren Saravis is determined to compete as an archer in the 1980 Moscow Olympics. The goal means considerable expense (his father, Larry, an engineer, now spends more than $10,000 a year on Darren's equipment and travel) and hard work. Every day for two and a half hours the 13-year-old Milford, Conn. high school freshman practices shooting at targets 35 to 50 yards away. Since his first tournament in March 1976 Darren has not lost one of the 40-odd meets he has entered. For two years in a row he has been the National Field Archery Association champion among 12-to 16-year-olds. Last June he broke his own state record for a field round (112 shots) by 35 points with a total of 494. A perfect score is 560. Winning is now so routine that Darren sometimes doesn't bother to pick up his trophy. "They're just hardware," he says. "Since there's no competition, I go to tournaments to break records." Darren got into archery two years ago—his parents enjoy the sport—as a way to strengthen his extremely poor eyesight. His vision is better now and "archery has become 60 percent of my life." The other 40 percent consists of hang gliding, scuba diving, photography and "my biggest hobby, girls."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!