Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Fatal Victim of Hoboken Train Crash Identified as 34-Year-Old Married Mother Fabiola Bittar de Kroon
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Teresa Giudice Says Husband Joe Has Lost 35 Lbs. in Prison by Doing '1,000 Sit-Ups a Day'
- Ozzy Osbourne's Ex-Mistress Michelle Pugh Files Complaint Against His Daughter Kelly for Allegedly Targeting Her for 'Financial Gain'
- FROM EW: Inside Maren Morris' Country Revolution
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 07, 1977
- Vol. 8
- No. 19
Carol Swanteson may have been born a city girl but she'd rather live where the deer and the antelope play. So, as the 24-year-old owner, occupant and sole hand on the 150-acre Pulltight Farm in Tundra, Texas, Carol has built a reputation as a top quarter horse trainer in the Southwest. She shares the ranch with two cats, four Australian sheep dogs and as many as nine equine boarders at a time. For $175 a month Carol feeds, bathes, barbers and trains quarter horses from five states. She also "breaks" horses that have never been ridden—not with John Wayne bronco-busting tactics but with hand-feeding and sweet talk. "The biggest mistake most people make with horses is to show fear," she says. "The horse knows and takes every advantage." Raised in Houston, Carol graduated in animal science from Texas A&M where she also won a scholarship for horse training and management. When her father gave her a long-neglected ranch two years ago, she put her know-how to work. Each year she judges livestock shows and conducts horsemanship clinics throughout the Southwest. She hopes to turn Pulltight into an equestrian camp for youngsters. For now, Carol revels in the solitary, rugged existence. "I have my animals, my friends, my neighbors and my work," she says simply. What more could a cowgirl ask?
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!