Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Scott Eastwood Says He Never Saw Any Tension Between The Rock and Vin Diesel on Set of Fast 8
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- Who Is Terra Jolé? 5 Things You Need to Know About the History-Making DWTS Contestant
- Fitness Trainers Gain 60 Lbs. and Drop it Again to Demonstrate How Hard it Is to Lose Weight
- WATCH: Dancing with the Stars Champion Nyle DiMarco Strips Down for Chippendales Gig
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- January 30, 1978
- Vol. 9
- No. 4
Robert Harrington, 29, is a belt maker extraordinaire—but slow. Each one has required at least 150 hours, and in six years he's made only a dozen. The hand-carved leather creations have as their decorative motifs a person, animal or theme. One, entitled "It's All a Mystery to Me," is a spoof on the history of man (bottom). Thousands of tiny brass nails outline the TV-screen-shaped frames that surround each scene. (Other exotic materials include slivers of ham bone and dolls' eyes.) The nails are so small Harrington has to insert them with needle-nosed pliers. So far he has sold 10 of his belts, at prices ranging from $200 to $2,280. Born in Boston, Robert did an Army tour in Germany and after his discharge settled in the town of Mojacar on Spain's Mediterranean coast. He comes home only for visits. "The U.S. is beautiful," he says, "but I'll stay in Spain as long as it turns me on." His next artistic turn-on will be larger wall sculptures because he has found the belts too confining in size. In the meantime he's just sold a belt to Cher and is confident of unloading the rest. "My customers are rich but not necessarily famous," he says, adding, "I know I'm good. Someday I'm going to be famous."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!