Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Search Continues for Missing Japanese Boy Abandoned in Mountains by Parents as 'Punishment'
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- 4 Tricks to Getting the Prettiest Bare Nails
- The Bachelorette Recap: JoJo Fletcher Gets Her First One-on-One – and We Officially Have This Season's Villain
- Sail Away! Amy Schumer and Kate Hudson Vacation in Hawaii With Goldie Hawn
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- April 24, 1978
- Vol. 9
- No. 16
Betty Ford Bravely Faces Up to the Strains and Pains That Have Produced a New Problem: Drugs
Finally, last week Betty checked herself into the alcohol and drug rehabilitation center at Long Beach Naval Hospital to seek a cure. In a statement, as candid and courageous as ever, she declared: "It's an insidious thing, and I mean to rid myself of its damaging effects. There have been too many other things I have overcome to be forever burdened with this."
There was reason for hope, because she had previously worked on a drinking problem. But there was also a deeper difficulty this time. The flare-up that led to her hospitalization and brought Ford and all of their children hurrying home had occurred shortly after an L.A. speech in which he had indicated an interest in the Republican presidential nomination for 1980. "That had to have something to do with her getting sick," said a friend of the family. "He had promised her he wouldn't run." Indeed, even before his wife was admitted to the naval drug center, Ford was back on the circuit of lectures, celebrity golf tournaments and banquets.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!