Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- J.K. Rowling's Look for the Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Premiere Is Pure Magic
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- Gotcha! Jaden Smith Tricked His Family into Flying Out to England So He Could Drink on His 18th Birthday
- Blac Chyna Shows Off Her Baby Bump in Body-Con Velvet Dress After Breakup Rumors
- Father of Fallen Muslim Soldier Who Shook the DNC with Emotional Speech Says His 'Conscience Compels' Him to Fight Against Trump
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 18, 1978
- Vol. 10
- No. 12
Governor Jim Thompson's Baby Comes Home to a New Old-Fashioned Nursery
It also suits Samantha's old-fashioned dad. Although his wife, Jayne, 32, is a former criminal prosecutor and an ardent ERA advocate, the governor, 42, has his own ideas about raising a daughter. "This one is going to wear dresses," he tells Samantha, "because Daddy is not buying you anything but dresses." Nor does he foresee a political future for her: "Only one person in this family every 100 years should be called upon to do that."
Actually, the Thompsons had been expecting a "Little Jim." Both had finished Lamaze childbirth training, but after 15 hours of labor Samantha was delivered by cesarean. Since then, while hand-knitted booties and sweaters pour in from constituents across the state, the governor starts each day by changing Samantha's diapers. "After all," he concedes, "Jayne has been up all night nursing. And I'm not good at nursing."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!