Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Rum Diary Flashback: Where Johnny Depp and Amber Heard First Met
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- What Happens Without a Prenup? Divorce Lawyers Weigh In on Johnny Depp and Amber Heard's 15-Month Marriage
- Inside Johnny Depp's Rocky Romantic History: His Other Short Marriage and Broken Engagements
- Man Recovering After 10-Foot Python Slithers Up Toilet and Bites Him
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 18, 1978
- Vol. 10
- No. 12
Governor Jim Thompson's Baby Comes Home to a New Old-Fashioned Nursery
It also suits Samantha's old-fashioned dad. Although his wife, Jayne, 32, is a former criminal prosecutor and an ardent ERA advocate, the governor, 42, has his own ideas about raising a daughter. "This one is going to wear dresses," he tells Samantha, "because Daddy is not buying you anything but dresses." Nor does he foresee a political future for her: "Only one person in this family every 100 years should be called upon to do that."
Actually, the Thompsons had been expecting a "Little Jim." Both had finished Lamaze childbirth training, but after 15 hours of labor Samantha was delivered by cesarean. Since then, while hand-knitted booties and sweaters pour in from constituents across the state, the governor starts each day by changing Samantha's diapers. "After all," he concedes, "Jayne has been up all night nursing. And I'm not good at nursing."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!