Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Lawrence of Arabia Star Omar Sharif Is Suffering from Alzheimer's, Says Son
- Read the Cover Story – Tess Holliday: The World's First Size 22 Supermodel!
- What Happened When Ray Liotta and Christopher Walken Sat Next to Each Other on a Flight?
- Never Hear 'You Look Tired' Again – Thanks to This Beauty Product
- Police Recover Body in Hudson River Near Where Kayaker Disappeared
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 13, 1978
- Vol. 10
- No. 20
Christine Kaporch, 30, says a fellow instructor at the FBI Academy, "could shoot a snake between the eyes." The first female on the faculty of the academy in Quantico, Va., she teaches recruits firearms, fingerprinting and fitness on a mean Marine-style obstacle course. Born in Providence, Kaporch herself joined the Marines right out of the U of Miami but got restless after three years of administrative duties. "By then I knew how to deal with a men's organization," she explains, "and I'd always been attracted by the FBI mystique." So in 1973 she became the 20th woman agent (of 8,000 agents, there are now 91 females with 50 more in training). Posted first to Newark, she discovered criminals can be gents ("Honey, you can arrest me anytime," said one) and her bureau buddies chauvinists ("Ladies first," her male partner joshed as they edged into a Newark ghetto stakeout). She is married to Kevin Kaporch, 27, a desk-bound FBI program analyst who gets whupped by her in racquet ball and admits: "I could no more do some of the things she does than the man in the moon." As Christine puts it, "Kevin's a lover, not a fighter, and that I take seriously." Sharpshooter Kaporch is equally earnest about her ultimate target in the FBI. "I shouldn't say this," she says, "but I want to be Director."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!