Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,173 covers and 55,054 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- What Did Michelle Obama Think of American Sniper?
- The Style Top 5: Sarah Jessica Parker Brings Her Shoe Line to Zappos, Katy Perry Preps for the Super Bowl and More
- Val Kilmer Updates Fans on His Condition: 'Please Don't Worry'
- What Super Bowl Quarterback Is Katy Perry Rooting for?
- See the Best Celeb Food Photos of the Week from Kendall, Reese & More
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Saturday January 31, 2015 12:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- April 16, 1979
- Vol. 11
- No. 15
Heavens to Burpee, If That's Not a Great Pea, Calvin Lamborn Will Eat the Pod—and So Can You
Sugar snaps are distributed by Burpee (and others), which featured them on the cover of the 1979 catalogue—an unusual promotion for seeds not developed in-house. (Lamborn made his discovery for the Gallatin Valley Seed Co. of Twin Falls, Idaho.) Seventy days after sowing, the plants are four to six feet high and ready to pick.
One of seven kids, Lamborn earned a doctorate in plant breeding and virology at Utah State. Ten years ago he began the delicate process of propagating a new variety by transferring pollen in tweezers from a standard garden pea to a one-in-one-million mutation that had developed in the Gallatin hothouse. Lamborn expected the cross (which took a decade to stabilize) to produce a high-yield variety of the common pea, but the pod's sweet taste was a shock. "Some folks say sugar snaps taste almost like candy, but that's stretching it a bit," says the inventor.
For his work he will receive a modest bonus from Gallatin, which could itself earn $120,000 a year. He still drives a 1959 panel truck between work and his Twin Falls home, where he and wife Bonnie tend a large garden. Could it be that even now one of their five kids is out there chewing on a new idea?
January 31, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!