Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Anthony Anderson Addresses Oscars Controversy at NAACP Image Awards: 'This Is What Diversity Is Supposed to Look Like'
- Read the Cover Story: Amy Duggar King: I'm Doing It My Way
- NAACP Image Awards 2016: Kerry Washington, Jada Pinkett Smith, Laverne Cox Make Best Dressed List
- Carolina Panthers' Kurt Coleman Opens Up About the Unique Bond He Shares With the College Teammate He Paralyzed
- Survivor Alum Michael Skupin Charged with Child Pornography and Racketeering
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 02, 1979
- Vol. 12
- No. 1
Old Curtis Doesn't Have a Pedigree, yet He's Proud to Be Nothing but a Hangdog
Still, his owner was astonished at what Curtis did five years ago when Burke went hang-gliding off 350-foot Torrey Pines bluff (right) near San Diego. No sooner had Burke floated off into space than the dog decided to follow. To his dismay, Curtis proved to be a dangerously inadequate butterfly and tumbled partway down the cliff. A veterinarian had to insert three steel pins in his broken front leg. Deciding that if Curtis wanted to fly that badly, something ought to be done about it, Burke designed a special harness to take his pet aloft. "I hooked him up so his legs rest on my back, and he loved it," says Burke. "On the first flight he tensed up a little at takeoff, but once he got used to the idea he relaxed and started licking my neck." Burke is a hang-gliding instructor of 25 now, a pioneer in his sport who is thinking of switching to acting and songwriting. And Curtis is an old dog of 13 whose flight time will soon be behind him. For now, though, there is nothing either of them would rather be doing than soaring out above the Pacific as other dogs watch from below, wagging their tails and barking their envy.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!