Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Zac Efron Gushes About His 'O.G Crew' in High School Musical-Themed Throwback Photo
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- Anna and Josh Duggar Reveal They're in Marriage Counseling: It's a 'Long Road to Rebuild a Healthy Relationship'
- Angela Simmons Expecting First Child: 'We are Overjoyed and Super Excited'
- More Allegations from Amber Heard: Claims Johnny Depp Abused Her for Four Years, Uses Drugs and Assaulted Her on Her Birthday
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 22, 1979
- Vol. 12
- No. 17
Rae Schiff, 24, boasts of her Chicago publication, Word of Mouth: The Freelancer's Guide, "We begin where the Yellow Pages leave off." It lists everything from calligraphers and ethnic caterers to hypnotists. "They're special people," she says, "and best of all, they're available round the clock." Indeed, the volume includes all-night plumbers. A listing (which usually throws in a personality profile as well as a phone number) costs $15 to $150; the book itself sells for $1. After trying her hand at art, poetry and jazz at colleges from New York to Mexico, Schiff joined the economy. Word of Mouth would have classified her variously as a cocktail waitress, designer, chef and tour guide. "People were always asking if I knew a house painter or a shoemaker," she explains. "And I had all these friends who didn't know how to find jobs." So after borrowing $1,500 through her dad, a former delicatessen owner (her mother is an artist), Rae spent eight months of 15-hour days producing the first edition last July. "I voided my social life," Rae complains, and now she's toiling on an update to run as an insert in the magazine Chicago Faces—which will triple her circulation to 30,000.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!