Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Outlander Recap: Claire Is Forced to Choose Between Jamie and Frank
- Read the Cover Story: Jill and Derick Dillard Share Their Baby Boy's Dramatic Arrival
- Hillary Scott on Lady Antebellum's Tour Bus Fire: It's 'Nothing Compared to What It Could Have Been'
- The Untold Story of Rock Hudson's Final Days
- Jill (Duggar) and Derick Dillard: Israel David's Birth Brought Us Closer Together
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- April 28, 1980
- Vol. 13
- No. 17
Get Thee to a Utility? Enterprising Nuns Strike Gas on the Grounds of Their Convent
Finally last fall the sisters arrived at a compromise. "I called a meeting," Sister Joan recalls, "and explained that if we could find gas ourselves we might be able to provide for our own energy needs and thus free up more gas for the outside community." They first voted to sell their stock to pay for drilling and tests. When the results were positive, the sisters had to decide whether to "risk the rest of their communal savings on piping, with no guarantee that the well would pay off. Last January they elected to gamble—and won. The well is now expected to provide gas for the convent for the next 25 to 35 years. "People ask us constantly if we think this was a miracle," says Sister Joan. "We don't. We have a commitment here to raising consciousness about world peace, conservation and the dangers of nuclear weaponry. To us, a miracle will be when we can all develop a sense of responsibility toward each other and the world we live in."
April 18, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!