Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,173 covers and 55,054 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Why Did This Moto-Sweatershirt Sell Out So Fast? Watch the Video
- Read the Cover Story: The Untold Love Story Behind American Sniper
- Which Breaking Bad Star is Headed to CBS?
- Suge Knight Involved in Fatal Hit-and-Run After Allegedly Getting Into Brawl on Film Set
- What's Blue, Green & Frozen All Over? Starbucks's New Super Bowl Drink
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Friday January 30, 2015 07:10AM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- April 28, 1980
- Vol. 13
- No. 17
Get Thee to a Utility? Enterprising Nuns Strike Gas on the Grounds of Their Convent
Finally last fall the sisters arrived at a compromise. "I called a meeting," Sister Joan recalls, "and explained that if we could find gas ourselves we might be able to provide for our own energy needs and thus free up more gas for the outside community." They first voted to sell their stock to pay for drilling and tests. When the results were positive, the sisters had to decide whether to "risk the rest of their communal savings on piping, with no guarantee that the well would pay off. Last January they elected to gamble—and won. The well is now expected to provide gas for the convent for the next 25 to 35 years. "People ask us constantly if we think this was a miracle," says Sister Joan. "We don't. We have a commitment here to raising consciousness about world peace, conservation and the dangers of nuclear weaponry. To us, a miracle will be when we can all develop a sense of responsibility toward each other and the world we live in."
January 30, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!