Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Gabby Douglas Gives Fans a Health Update After Removing Cyst in Her Mouth: 'Feeling Much Better Now!'
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- Dolly Parton on How She's Helped Her Gay Family Members Come Out: 'You Don't Need to Live Your Life in Darkness'
- Donald Trump Confirms Trip to Mexico to Meet with President Enrique Peña Nieto
- Inside Gene Wilder's Final Days and Private Health Battle
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 02, 1980
- Vol. 13
- No. 22
Van Cliburn Gets a Wake-Up Call for His Mother's Award Ceremony, and Bearly Makes It
The only problem was that celebrated son. As Mrs. Cliburn was being fitted with cap and gown for the afternoon ceremony, Van was still snoozing in his hotel room nearby. Since spring is the silly season on college campuses, thoughts of how to get him moving soon ran to the unorthodox. A grisly idea was suggested by Cliburn's cousin, Prof. Robert Reid, a popular Baylor history teacher for whom the school's 4-month-old bear mascot is named. Shortly before graduation began, Professor Reid turned his namesake loose in Cliburn's room. The cub pounced on the bed, and within seconds the son was dressed and on his way to watch Mother receive her sheepskin. "The bear seemed too playful to be mean," Cliburn explained bravely afterward. "And since he had my cousin's name, I knew he couldn't be all bad."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!