Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Lawrence of Arabia Star Omar Sharif Is Suffering from Alzheimer's, Says Son
- Read the Cover Story – Tess Holliday: The World's First Size 22 Supermodel!
- What Happened When Ray Liotta and Christopher Walken Sat Next to Each Other on a Flight?
- Never Hear 'You Look Tired' Again – Thanks to This Beauty Product
- Police Recover Body in Hudson River Near Where Kayaker Disappeared
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 02, 1980
- Vol. 13
- No. 22
Here's One for the Book: Simultaneous Best-Sellers by the Mcgrady Brothers
Both McGradys have had best-sellers before. Pat's was The Youth Doctors, a 1968 study of jet-set physicians and quacks. He also has published five other books, including a ghostwritten autobiography about which he must remain forever mum. Mike is best known for Naked Came the Stranger, the 1969 literary hoax he concocted with 25 journalist friends. Each wrote a chapter and submitted it under the nom de plume Penelope Ashe.
The McGradys were born into a literary family—their late father was a well-known science writer, and younger brother Shamus is an occasional contributor to the Reader's Digest. Pat and Mike attended Yale and did time as daily journalists—Pat with the wire services, Mike on Newsday. Each is the father of three children, all of whom, they say, take a keen interest in writing. "I don't let them know about the trauma, the rejection slips," says Mike. "I only bring the checks home."
The brothers, who both live in New York, do not foresee working together, chiefly because Pat's expertise is in medical and scientific writing. "The advantage of collaborating on a book," says Pat, "is that you get someone to do some of your work. The disadvantage is that they take half the money."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!