Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Texas Cop Killed During Burglary Months Before Retirement
- Read the Cover Story: JFK Jr.: The John We Loved
- The Bachelorette Recap: JoJo Fletcher Selects Her Final Two – With Some Drama in the Fantasy Suite Along the Way
- Michelle Obama Takes on Trump in Emotional DNC Speech: 'Don't Let Anyone Ever Tell You That This Country Isn't Great'
- WATCH: Demi Lovato Speaks for Mental Health Awareness at Democratic National Convention, Performs 'Confident'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 09, 1980
- Vol. 13
- No. 23
Anita Bryant Rates Family Bliss Next to Godliness, but After 20 Years She's Divorcing Bob Green
Then, two weeks ago, Bryant, 40, shocked friends and foes alike by declaring her own marriage to manager-husband Bob Green "irretrievably broken." Just a month short of their 20th anniversary, she filed for divorce, cryptically charging Green with "cooperating with certain hired members of the [Ministries] staff who conspired to control me and use my name and reputation to build their own careers." Though Ministries sources hinted that power plays and financial questions spurred Anita's action, the marriage had apparently been shaky before. Bryant herself acknowledges that they had "sought different kinds of counseling."
In her suit, Anita sought half their property, including their spectacular 25-room mansion overlooking Biscayne Bay; custody of their four children, now 10 to 16; plus child support on the grounds that she was "without sufficient funds."
Green, 48, the ex-disc jockey who had shrewdly guided the Miss America runner-up into a half-million-a-year star, admitted recently that Bryant's anti-gay crusade had cost her thousands in bookings and left her career "shattered." As for their marriage, Green appealed to Anita to reconsider in an open letter released to the press. "Let us both put aside all other earthly considerations," he wrote, "and reunite in Christian love."
But for Anita, who simultaneously resigned as head of the Bryant Ministries, there was no looking back. "Divorce is against everything I believe in. I wanted to save my marriage, but I decided that was not the route to go."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!