Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Italian Astronaut Wears Star Trek Uniform in Space
- The Best Photos from the Week of Apr. 13- Apr. 19, 2015
- A Kaitlyn-Britt Showdown? A Motorized Cupake? New Bachelorette Promo Is Nuts (VIDEO)
- What Made Robert Herjavec and Kym Johnson's 'Connection Even Stronger' on DWTS
- Cissy Houston: Bobbi Kristina Brown Has 'Irreversible Brain Damage' and 'Remains Unresponsive'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 09, 1980
- Vol. 13
- No. 23
Jayne Anne Phillips, 27, scribbled a novel in a notebook when she was only 12. Her calling, however, turned out to be the short story. Black Tickets, her third and latest collection, led John (Garp) Irving to commend her as "a wonderful young writer" and critics to praise her as "an electric talent" with Fellini-like vision. Published last year by Delacorte and now in its second printing, Black Tickets is recommended reading at Vassar. "I never had any money until recently. My parents," she laughs, "still have fantasies of my ending up in the gutter." Actually, it's her tormented characters—drifters, strippers and jailbirds—who wind up there. Jayne scraped by, waitressing and peddling aluminum siding door to door before earning her master of fine arts in 1978 from the University of Iowa. Then a National Endowment for the Arts fellowship relieved her financial worries. The daughter of a road construction foreman and a schoolteacher (now divorced), Jayne grew up in rural Buckhannon, W.Va. and lives in arty Province-town, Mass. She produces slowly ("Two pages means a good day"), with no thought of a best-seller. Instead, she aims "to write something timeless."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!