Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Kourtney Kardashian Talks Change Within Her Family: 'Everything Is Going to Be Really Positive'
- Read the Cover Story: Jill and Derick Dillard Share Their Baby Boy's Dramatic Arrival
- Naya Rivera Shows Off Growing Baby Bump in a Teeny Bikini – See the Photo
- Tyga and Kylie Jenner Party at Coachella with Khloé Kardashian and Kendall Jenner
- George and Amal Clooney Laugh It Up on the Set of Money Monster
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 10, 1980
- Vol. 14
- No. 19
It Was Grand If Not Quite Opera When Beverly Sills' Pals Celebrated Her Swan Song
Well, the meal may have left something to be desired—"My diner in Brooklyn could have served better food," sniffed one woman who had paid $1,000 for the frigid capon with cold rice and carrots. Still, the show that followed was by consensus incomparable. On the set of Die Fledermaus, Sills, in a sequined, befeathered gown, had just finished one of Rosalinda's duets when Carol Burnett burst onstage, in a flashy flapperish outfit, loudly demanding, "What the hell happened to Gay Vienna?" In the middlebrow medley that followed, Leontyne Price sang What I Did for Love, Placido Domingo warbled Granada, Renata Scotto trilled Over the Rainbow, and Dinah Shore did My Mama Done Tol' Me. Inevitably, Mary Martin's offering was My Heart Belongs to Daddy, but she confided that nowadays autograph seekers sheepishly request: "Do you mind writing 'J.R.'s mother' too?"
After the show the throng retreated outdoors to rub shoulders with the likes of jeans magnate Mohan Murjani (who underwrote the party), Joan Mondale, Helen Hayes and Sarah Caldwell. The dancing went on well past the witching hour, but the guest of honor stole away early. "I'm going home now," she said over her shoulder, "and I'll be in the office first thing in the morning. I've got to start writing the next chapter of my life."
April 18, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!