Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Alicia Vikander and Michael Fassbender Open Up About Their Private Off-Screen Romance
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- WATCH: Adrienne Bailon Dishes on Her 'Magical' Engagement to Israel Houghton: 'He Is Everything I Wanted and More'
- #NationalDogDay: See the Celebrity Love Notes to Their Fur Babies
- Drake Surprises Rihanna with a Billboard to Congratulate Her on Receiving Video Vanguard Award
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 17, 1980
- Vol. 14
- No. 20
Mark Mazzarella, 20, takes a last gulp of air before his brothers, Tony, 25 (left), and Tom, 22, stuff his 6'1", 150-pound frame into a 2'6"-by-1'9" tubular tank filled with about 50 gallons of water. He is wearing a straitjacket, and his feet are bound with chains. Less than three minutes later Mark bounces out of the container, dripping wet, to take a bow. The stunt incorporates three of Harry Houdini's greatest feats and explains why the New York Times calls Mazzarella "one of the best escapologists in the country." Mark, who still lives with his hairstylist father and his mother, a pharmacist's assistant, in Southington, Conn., got his start a decade ago when his brothers used to tie him up while playing cops and robbers. Trouble was, Mark wouldn't stay tied. Soon he was performing at local shows with Tom (now a cable TV salesman) and Tony (an insurance agent) as his assistants. In 1978 he entered the University of Hartford on an art scholarship but dropped out a year later to star in the American premiere of the opera Houdini at the Aspen Music Festival. Next February Mark will repeat his nonsinging role when Houdini opens in Amsterdam. Meanwhile, he has been opening for Sha Na Na. How come Mark's so magical? "Well." he winks, "some people say I dematerialize."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!