Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Georgia Woman Allegedly Researched People Who Kill Their Families – Then Shot Daughter-in-Law: Police
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- 'I Cried for an Hour': Sandy Hook Parents Return to 'Sacred Ground' at Site of School Massacre
- Jared Leto: Playing the Joker in Suicide Squad 'Was a Role of a Lifetime'
- Matt Damon on His Jason Bourne Costar: Everyone Wants Alicia Vikander Right Now
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 01, 1980
- Vol. 14
- No. 22
Bill Jackson, 25, left a safe $15,000-a-year job with a big New York accounting firm to sell wicker furniture the Tupperware way—at home parties. Jackson's Larchmont, N.Y. company, The Wicker Place, Inc., now has a staff of six selling on commission. (They earn up to 25 percent and the hostesses of wicker parties collect 5 percent of the evening's take, plus a 15 percent discount on any purchases.) Items range from a $1 fan to a $400 couch. "With no overhead," Jackson says, "I don't have to mark up items as much as the retail stores." An entrepreneur even as a boy in Garden City, N.Y., Jackson was one of five children of an insurance underwriter father and Realtor mother. He put himself through Holy Cross College in Worcester, Mass. with odd jobs as a yardman, bartender and house painter. After receiving an accounting degree in 1977, he set out to be a CPA. But soon, frustrated by the 9-to-5 Manhattan grind, Jackson turned to wickerware. "After a year I'm still learning the market by trial and error," admits bachelor Jackson, who shares a Westchester County house with two sisters. Yet the prospects are bright, he believes: "As long as this recession continues, wicker is cheaper than anything else. I can't miss."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!