Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- These Stuffed Pumpkin Recipes Are Sure to Fill You with Happiness
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- PEOPLE’s Guide Dog at Large, Murphy the Puppy, Is the Star of His Class (Watch the Video Proof!)
- Padma Lakshmi Wants Her Daughter to Get a Degree Before Entering Show Business: 'She Wants to Be a Pop Star'
- Other 2 Victims in Boat Crash That Killed Marlins Pitcher José Fernández Identified as His High School Friends
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 25, 1981
- Vol. 15
- No. 20
David Bintley, dancer and choreographer with Britain's lively Sadler's Wells Company, is at 23 already being compared to the towering likes of the Royal Ballet's Kenneth MacMillan and the Stuttgart's late John Cranko. "I think it is too early," Bintley demurs, "for anyone to say what my style is." Nevertheless, when Adieu, his sixth work, debuted in London last year, Ballet News called it a work of "poetic imagination." Since then Bintley has had similar success with Polonia and Night Moves—both created after he memorized every orchestral part and then did "whatever the music said." Yorkshire-born Bintley was raised in a house filled with music; his father, who works in a fire extinguisher factory, and his mother, a piano saleswoman, each play several instruments. At 11, David joined his little sister Sara Jeanne in dance school, and by 16 he had won a scholarship to London's Royal Ballet School, moving on to Sadler's Wells three years later. These days Bintley mostly dances less demanding character parts so that he can create new ballets. He shares a modest North London flat with one of the girls in the corps and enjoys painting and movies—but not checking out the work of other choreographers. "I either get jealous or bored," he explains, "and then want to rush home and start working."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!