Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Charlie Sheen's Daughters Are All Grown-Up in Smiley Family Photo – See the Sweet Pic!
- Read the Cover Story: Rob Kardashian & Blac Chyna: How I Finally Found Happiness
- WATCH: Taylor Lautner Is 'Basically Female Viagra' in Scream Queens Season 2
- Kourtney Kardashian Supports Sister Kim's Social Media Smackdown on Taylor Swift: 'The Truth Is the Truth'
- WATCH: Rob Lowe Is Self-Deprecating – and Buck Naked – in Roast Promo Parodying His '80s Sex Tape
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 08, 1981
- Vol. 15
- No. 22
Cate Cronin remembers that by tradition, "If a woman worked on a ship, it would be in the galley." So much for tradition. At 24, the 5'7", curly-haired Cronin is the first woman captain of Clearwater, the 106-foot sloop that sails the Hudson as a river ecology watchdog. The brainchild of folksinger Pete Seeger, Clearwater is a replica of a 19th-century sloop Supported by gifts and grants, it has plied the Hudson since 1969 to dramatize the campaign to clean up the river and its shores. Cate, says Seeger, "is one of the best-organized captains we've ever had." The daughter of a graphic artist and a housewife, Cate grew up in Bangor, Maine and first went to sea in 1975 as assistant cook. (She dropped out of the University of Maine after two years.) "It was hard to get out of the galley and on deck," Cate admits. But after three years in galleys, including Clearwater's, Cate finally made it topside. A Coast Guard-licensed inland waters operator, Cate became Clearwater's captain last summer. Single, she tries to date fellow sailors "who have the same crazy schedules." Cate ships out from April through November, earning $11,300 a season, and lives with her family the rest of the year. "I can now," she notes proudly, "call myself captain of a prestigious boat in a field where it's hard to find a job—whether you are a male or a female."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!