Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Mindy Kaling's Upset that B.J. Novak Is Starring in a McDonald's Movie
- The Style Top 5: Taylor Swift Goes Wedding Dress Shopping (For Her BFF),
Celebs' Share Their Makeup-Free Selfies and More
- NBC's Richard Engel Marries 'Longtime Love' Mary Forrest
- Saved by the Bell Star Dustin Diamond Convicted of Misdemeanors in Stabbing, Faces up to 9 Months in Prison
- Britney Spears Calls Herself a 'Proud Skate Mom' in New Pic with Sons
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 15, 1981
- Vol. 15
- No. 23
French Quintuplets Accept Maxim's Invitation to Let 'em Eat Cake
The only French quints ever to survive childbirth, the Brunners made their social debut last month at Maxim's, that famous Parisian eatery celebrated in song and gastronomic guides. Of late, however, Maxim's reputation has slipped a notch, and its new owner, fashion designer Pierre Cardin, has pledged to restore its luster. Not only did Cardin throw the party, he also decked out the quints in his latest children's fashions. But mama Claude Brunner doesn't want high fashion to become a habit. "I prefer to accept hand-me-downs from friends," she explained. "We can't afford to keep them in Pierre Cardins all their lives."
Claude and her husband, Jacques, a personnel director for a metalwork company, had tried unsuccessfully for years to have children. Then she underwent hormone treatments and brought forth a full house at age 31, She promptly retired from nursery school teaching to tend to her brood. "I don't wish it on anyone," she sighs. "It's very exhausting, but we are thrilled. We really wanted them." The Brunners live quietly in Domène, a aim to bring up the quints "to be like other children." The next big test comes in September, when Gilles, Maud, Marc, Anne and Luc go off hand-in-hand-in-hand-in-hand-in-hand to small village in the Alpine foothills, and nursery school.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!