Archive Page - 08/16/13 40 years, 2,168 covers and 54,870 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- PEOPLE Magazine Awards: What Does Kevin Hart Do to Relax?
- Read the Cover Story: Family and Friends Remember Robin Williams
- Kate Hudson on Goldie Hawn as Her Role Model: 'She's Kind of Awesome'
- PEOPLE Magazine Awards: Kate Upton Tells Boyfriend 'You're Welcome' for Her Sexiness
- Chloë Grace Moretz: Spraining My Knee Won't Keep Me from Heels
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Thursday December 18, 2014 11:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 15, 1981
- Vol. 15
- No. 23
Jeffrey Hollender, 26, attended four high schools before graduating and dropped out of Hampshire (Mass.) College in his sophomore year. Yet Hollender has found his niche, establishing the Network for Learning, one of the nation's largest noncredit continuing education programs. Since opening its doors in a Greenwich Village loft in 1979, the school has grown to 50,000 students a year—some attending up to four weeks. They pay between $15 and $45 to take such courses as "Around the World on $15 a Day," taught by travel expert Arthur Frommer, and "How to Be a Preppy," by best-selling author Lisa Birnbach. To date Hollender has grossed $1.5 million from his brainchild. The son of a former president of Grey International Advertising and his real estate agent wife, Jeffrey was an entrepreneur even at 15 with a window-washing business in the Long Island Hamptons that grossed $100 a day. After quitting college he founded, in 1976, the Skills Exchange of Toronto. Two years later, with the school drawing 20,000 annually, Hollender turned his attention to New York. The bachelor plans to sell franchises to other U.S. cities and London within the next year. "As far as I'm concerned," he says confidently, "we've only scratched the surface."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!