Archive Page - 08/16/13 40 years, 2,169 covers and 54,876 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Kim Kardashian's Exposed Email Instructs Mom Kris Jenner to Stop Dressing Like a Pilgrim
- The Style Top 5: The Best Star Style From the PEOPLE Magazine Awards
- Lance Bass and Michael Turchin: Our Love Story
- WATCH: Garth Brooks Joins Justin Timberlake on Stage to Sing 'Friends in Low Places'
- Stephen Collins: A Woman Repeatedly Exposed Herself to Me When I Was a Boy
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Saturday December 20, 2014 12:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 24, 1981
- Vol. 16
- No. 8
Trying to Swim the English Channel, America's diDonato Twins Became, Alas, the White Stiffs of Dover
James and Jonathan diDonato, sons of a free-lance TV commercial artist, learned to dog-paddle near their native Wantagh, Long Island and grew up liking to butterfly long distances. In 1976 they even moved to Florida so they could do just that all year round. In 1980 they butterflied 10 miles in the Atlantic, probably a record. This April they went 15 miles in a pool (1,080 laps), probably another record. So the only fear they had, after nearly a half decade in the limpid 85° water off Fort Lauderdale, was the frigid Channel, where temperatures average 59°.
Rightly so. "Our stroke felt perfect," recalls Jonathan (younger by five minutes) of their early morning start from Dover's Shakespeare Beach. But two miles and 75 minutes toward their landfall, Cap Gris-Nez, the cold had struck. Says Jonathan, "I couldn't hold my jaw in place. And James was gray. I thought, 'Gee, he looks like he's going to die.' " The doctor on the pilot ship ordered them out. Poor little butterflies.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!