Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,189 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Kate Mara and Jamie Bell Get Cozy in Malibu in New Instagram Snap
- The Best Photos from the Week of August 24- August 30, 2015
- FROM EW: The 8 Most Polarizing Celebrities in Dancing With the Stars History
- Read Sarah Michelle Gellar's Pledge of Love to Freddie Prinze Jr. on Their 13th Anniversary
- Melissa Rivers Reveals the Special Place Where She Scattered Her Mother Joan's Ashes
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 19, 1981
- Vol. 16
- No. 16
Dressing the Part
To Depict the Fashionable First Lady, Jackie Smith Goes Through 83 Costume Changes.
Although Oleg Cassini was Kennedy's chief couturier, Travilla got the ABC job because he's a Hollywood pro. In fact, he dressed Loretta Young and Marilyn Monroe for the movies, and in 1949 his costumes for Errol Flynn and Viveca Lindfors in Adventures of Don Juan earned an Oscar.
For the current film, the designer studied old newsreels and snapshots. He chose favorite Kennedy colors (vibrant red, clear pink and white) and fabrics (linen and crepe). "He really knew the period and retained the style," says Smith. "His wardrobe helped me feel like Jackie." The size-6 star was so pleased that she kept one of the costumes, a $1,400 chiffon sheath that she wears in the show to her first state dinner. (The other outfits will be altered and recycled for use in future ABC productions.) While Travilla didn't quite match the $40,000-a-month clothing bills President Kennedy is said to have grumbled about, the network paid plenty for Smith's TV attire. Total cost: $150,000.
September 01, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!