Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- What Made Robert Herjavec and Kym Johnson's 'Connection Even Stronger' on DWTS
- The Best Photos from the Week of Apr. 13- Apr. 19, 2015
- Cissy Houston: Bobbi Kristina Brown Has 'Irreversible Brain Damage' and 'Remains Unresponsive'
- Two Years After Losing Her Leg, Boston Marathon Bombing Survivor Crosses Finish Line
- The Inside Story on Noah Galloway's Touching DWTS Guest
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 02, 1981
- Vol. 16
- No. 18
Always when I'm at my weakest, I call upon my religion," Stingley says. "I have a little talk with my God every day." But Stingley insists his dark days are now infrequent and that he has adjusted to the injury that kept him hospitalized for eight months. He now gets around with the aid of an electrically equipped wheelchair and is supervising the outfitting of a Chicago condo designed to accommodate his special limitations. Although he is vulnerable to colds and last year suffered a collapsed lung, his overall health is good, and each month he flies to Boston to review game films as the Patriots' executive director of player personnel. "Going out is like a shot in the arm for me," he says. "It's a challenge to see how far I can go and move about independently."
Outspoken in his criticism of football's growing level of violence, Stingley has been in contact with Waldrep and hopes to persuade the NFL to sponsor public service TV announcements in behalf of the handicapped. His own doctors remain pessimistic about his chances for further physical recovery, but "whatever they say makes no difference as long as I'm alive," professes Darryl. "In fact, the sky's the limit. I think I have more hope than the average person."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!