Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Jay Pharoah Talks Saturday Night Live exit: 'I love them – They Are My Family’
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- Michael Phelps Opens Up About Ryan Lochte's Rio Robbery Scandal: 'Hopefully He Can Come Out of This a Better Person'
- Renée Zellweger on Her Return to Hollywood: 'I Craved the Creative Process Again'
- The Easiest Ways to Decorate for Fall from the New Target Catalog
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 02, 1981
- Vol. 16
- No. 18
Always when I'm at my weakest, I call upon my religion," Stingley says. "I have a little talk with my God every day." But Stingley insists his dark days are now infrequent and that he has adjusted to the injury that kept him hospitalized for eight months. He now gets around with the aid of an electrically equipped wheelchair and is supervising the outfitting of a Chicago condo designed to accommodate his special limitations. Although he is vulnerable to colds and last year suffered a collapsed lung, his overall health is good, and each month he flies to Boston to review game films as the Patriots' executive director of player personnel. "Going out is like a shot in the arm for me," he says. "It's a challenge to see how far I can go and move about independently."
Outspoken in his criticism of football's growing level of violence, Stingley has been in contact with Waldrep and hopes to persuade the NFL to sponsor public service TV announcements in behalf of the handicapped. His own doctors remain pessimistic about his chances for further physical recovery, but "whatever they say makes no difference as long as I'm alive," professes Darryl. "In fact, the sky's the limit. I think I have more hope than the average person."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!