Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Apple CEO Tim Cook's Op-Ed Blasting Indiana's Religious Freedom Act
- The Best Photos from the Week of Mar. 23- Mar. 29, 2015
- California College Student Goes Missing After Party
- KUWTK: Kanye West Lashes Out at Kim Kardashian's Trainer for Saying She Can't Lose 15 Lbs.
- Hilary Duff Reveals Her Surprising Blue Hair Inspiration, Says Her 12 Tattoos Make Her Gangster and More
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- April 05, 1982
- Vol. 17
- No. 13
Heiress Margaux Mirkin Balanced the Budget with a Fleet of Dream Cars for Hire
The daughter of Morris Mirkin, founder of Budget (her mother is an artist), Margaux was not coaxed into the family business. Her Drive-a-Dream actually evolved quite accidentally. At 16, she acquired her first car, a 1954 Porsche Speedster, with money she earned working for her father during summer vacations. She restored the car herself and started renting it on the side to movie studios for $100 per day. Upon selling it at a $2,000 profit, she started a theatrical auto agency, leasing classics to TV and movie studios. After completing her sophomore year at UCLA in 1976, Margaux quit to go into business full-time. Two years ago she thought up Drive-a-Dream, but selling her implacable father on the notion was tough. "He doesn't let go of the end of a dollar very easily," she says. Her initial success was convincing enough—80 percent of her 250 cars are on the highways any given day—and she now has a fleet worth millions and a staff of 20 who operate round the clock.
Margaux's personal collection of antique autos, including a Jag once owned by Clark Gable, is never driven. The cars are mothballed in several climate-controlled garages near the heiress's secluded canyon home. Instead, she notes, "I often hide out in a Volkswagen."
March 30, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!