Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Demi Lovato Is Still 'Enjoying Being Single' After Having a 'Great Time' with Odell Beckham Jr. on Dinner Date
- Read the Cover Story: JFK Jr.: The John We Loved
- Shannen Doherty Talks 'Impossibly Tough Day' as She Shares Breast Cancer Update After Shaving Her Head
- Apprentice Alum Omarosa Manigault Is Engaged
- 24-Year-Old Georgia News Anchor Dies After Falling 185 Feet From Waterfall During Birthday Hike
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- April 05, 1982
- Vol. 17
- No. 13
A Librarian Throws the Book at Overdue Borrowers
Armed with bulging sheaves of yellow summonses, Giuliano has become a familiar figure in district court. Although the delinquency rate has dropped slightly since she began her legal campaign—800 items were not returned last year, compared to 900 in 1979—most scoff laws still fail to appear in court to pay a possible $25 fine. Sometimes the books and records cannot be returned: Michelle's were destroyed in a fire in her family's home. The warrant was issued after she failed to appear in court to answer a summons she claims she never received.
Many offenders find the crackdown hard to take seriously. Barbara Wirzburger says that when a policeman telephoned her to say her husband, Paul, could be dragged away "in handcuffs in the middle of the night," she couldn't stop laughing. "My husband is as straight a person as you could meet," she says. "I don't think he's ever even gotten a parking ticket." Barbara says that the missing books are still in crates, because she and Paul recently married and moved into her house. Paul, a food broker, isn't talking. Perhaps he finds it ominous that one of the books he didn't return is a Kurt Vonnegut novel: Jailbird.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!