Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Gwyneth Paltrow and Ex Chris Martin Celebrate Memorial Day Together at Star-Studded Bash in Malibu
- Read the Cover Story – Tess Holliday: The World's First Size 22 Supermodel!
- Demi Moore and Daughter Rumer Willis Look Like Twins in New Photo
- Kacy Catanzaro's American Ninja Warrior Premiere Blog: Starting the Season with a Showstopper
- Pope Francis Hasn't Watched Television Since 1990, Longs for Good Pizza
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- April 05, 1982
- Vol. 17
- No. 13
A Librarian Throws the Book at Overdue Borrowers
Armed with bulging sheaves of yellow summonses, Giuliano has become a familiar figure in district court. Although the delinquency rate has dropped slightly since she began her legal campaign—800 items were not returned last year, compared to 900 in 1979—most scoff laws still fail to appear in court to pay a possible $25 fine. Sometimes the books and records cannot be returned: Michelle's were destroyed in a fire in her family's home. The warrant was issued after she failed to appear in court to answer a summons she claims she never received.
Many offenders find the crackdown hard to take seriously. Barbara Wirzburger says that when a policeman telephoned her to say her husband, Paul, could be dragged away "in handcuffs in the middle of the night," she couldn't stop laughing. "My husband is as straight a person as you could meet," she says. "I don't think he's ever even gotten a parking ticket." Barbara says that the missing books are still in crates, because she and Paul recently married and moved into her house. Paul, a food broker, isn't talking. Perhaps he finds it ominous that one of the books he didn't return is a Kurt Vonnegut novel: Jailbird.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!