Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Chrissy Teigen's Daughter Meets with 'Auntie' Kim Kardashian – and Even Gets Kanye to Smile
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- Tracy Anderson Says Jennifer Lopez's Kids Love to Crash Mom's Workouts: 'Max Is so Full of Energy'
- Popping Bottles! Justin Bieber Helps Celebrate Lewis Hamilton's Grand Prix Win by Taking a Giant Swig
- Gunman Among at Least 2 Dead in Texas Shooting That Left 6 Injured: 'They Were Shooting Randomly, Just at Whoever'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 31, 1982
- Vol. 17
- No. 21
When Friars and Friends Grant Cary a Dinner, They Come to Praise Him, Not Braise Him
"Cary is everyone's idea of what a man ought to be: intelligent, talented, sophisticated, successful and rich," said Gregory Peck. Dittos followed from the likes of Red Buttons, Tom Brokaw and George Burns. Comic Charlie Callas kiddingly put down the affair: "It was this or Conan the Barbarian, so I came." Letters from leading ladies like Princess Grace, Ingrid Bergman and Audrey Hepburn were read. Elizabeth Taylor's was best: "Though we have never worked together, I have lusted for you, yea, these many years. Is there a chance for us yet?" Former love Sophia Loren wired nothing. Neither did any of Cary's previous wives, though his current spouse, the former Barbara Harris, 31, sat devotedly by his side throughout the evening. Grant's only child, Jennifer, 16, by his fourth wife, Dyan Cannon, did not appear.
Taking the podium, Grant was touchingly shy and awkward. "There are many advantages to being old," he pshawed. "I just can't think of any." Guest Helen Gurley Brown could: "Cary's an inspiration to how great you can look at 78."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!