Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- VIDEO: Fear the Walking Dead: Los Angeles Is Hit with a 'Strange Virus' in First Promo
- The Style Top 5: Amal Clooney Brings Her Glam Street Style to NYC, Iggy Azalea Gets Candid About Her Body and More
- The Walking Dead Finale Recap: Keeping the Wolves from the Door
- RHOA Recap: The Housewives Head to the Philippines (with a Lot of Baggage)
- Justin Timberlake Almost Stole Taylor Swift's iHeartRadio Award
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 14, 1982
- Vol. 17
- No. 23
And Now for the Samurai Flamenco, by a Japanese Isadora
Her gamble paid off. "Miss Nagamine is one of those obsessed spirits that arise every so often," raved the New York Times, "and the world would be poorer without them." José Miguel, one of Spain's great flamenco dancers and Nagamine's lover for the past 15 years, concurs. "Yasuko is strong like a man. She also has suffered. When those things combine, something very beautiful happens."
Nagamine was 17 when she heard a recording of Carmen for the first time and headed for Madrid to study dance. "This was my destiny," recalls Nagamine, who one year later won a national flamenco competition. Still, Spanish audiences were not ready for a Japanese gypsy. "No one would hire me," she says. "I was crying every day." It would take 10 more years before she broke through the race barrier to be recognized as one of Spain's great dancers. She began working with Miguel in 1967, and they became the Fred and Ginger of flamenco.
Nagamine returned to Toyko to live four years ago, and though Miguel remained in Madrid, they plan to work together again. "Yasuko," proclaims her gypsy beau, "is my spirit, my soul."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!