Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,189 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Andra Day Is 'So Excited' About Serena Williams Choosing Her Song for the 2015 U.S. Open
- The Best Photos from the Week of August 24- August 30, 2015
- PHOTOS! The Muppets' Kermit the Frog Photographed with New Girlfriend After Split from Miss Piggy
- Get All the Details on Nikki Reed and Ian Somerhalder's 'Lovebirds' Wedding Cake
- Nikki Reed and Ian Somerhalder's Official Wedding Photos Are Here (Spoiler: They're Beyond Gorgeous!)
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 14, 1982
- Vol. 17
- No. 23
And Now for the Samurai Flamenco, by a Japanese Isadora
Her gamble paid off. "Miss Nagamine is one of those obsessed spirits that arise every so often," raved the New York Times, "and the world would be poorer without them." José Miguel, one of Spain's great flamenco dancers and Nagamine's lover for the past 15 years, concurs. "Yasuko is strong like a man. She also has suffered. When those things combine, something very beautiful happens."
Nagamine was 17 when she heard a recording of Carmen for the first time and headed for Madrid to study dance. "This was my destiny," recalls Nagamine, who one year later won a national flamenco competition. Still, Spanish audiences were not ready for a Japanese gypsy. "No one would hire me," she says. "I was crying every day." It would take 10 more years before she broke through the race barrier to be recognized as one of Spain's great dancers. She began working with Miguel in 1967, and they became the Fred and Ginger of flamenco.
Nagamine returned to Toyko to live four years ago, and though Miguel remained in Madrid, they plan to work together again. "Yasuko," proclaims her gypsy beau, "is my spirit, my soul."
September 01, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!