Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- VIDEO: Fear the Walking Dead: Los Angeles Is Hit with a 'Strange Virus' in First Promo
- The Style Top 5: Amal Clooney Brings Her Glam Street Style to NYC, Iggy Azalea Gets Candid About Her Body and More
- The Walking Dead Finale Recap: Keeping the Wolves from the Door
- RHOA Recap: The Housewives Head to the Philippines (with a Lot of Baggage)
- Justin Timberlake Almost Stole Taylor Swift's iHeartRadio Award
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 26, 1982
- Vol. 18
- No. 4
For Marineland Curator Brad Andrews, Bringing Up Baby Is One Whale of a Job
The whales' human curators teach them as well. Twice before, Corky's calves had starved to death because they were unable to locate their mother's mammary glands, which are protectively hidden beneath the body blubber. Andrews speculates that in the wild, a more experienced mother in a small school, or pod, may help the newborn calf locate a first-time mother's mammaries. To prepare Corky for this birth, Andrews and his staffers sought to teach her proper positioning by using a plastic surrogate. Yet when the calf was born June 18, she was unable to find her way to the mammaries. The aquarium now force-feeds the calf four times daily with a gallon of protein-enriched whipping cream formula.
The still-unnamed youngster has an uncertain purchase on life; it will be at least six months before the calf will graduate from the nursing stage. If she survives, she will be the first killer whale to be born and raised in captivity. Andrews and wife Enid have no children, but he is waiting out the danger period with a parent's fears. He doesn't plan to name the newcomer until she is strong enough to survive. "We just shouldn't," he says. "It would be even harder on everyone if..."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!