Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Christina Grimmie to Posthumously Release Four New Music Videos
- Read the Cover Story: JFK Jr.: The John We Loved
- Revolt at the DNC: Sarah Silverman Scolds Sanders Supporters for Booing, 'You're Being Ridiculous'
- Bernie Sanders Supports Hillary Clinton in DNC Speech Amid Controversy: 'I Am Proud to Stand with Her'
- Dr. Dre Detained at Malibu Home After Confrontation With Motorist: Report
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 26, 1982
- Vol. 18
- No. 4
For Marineland Curator Brad Andrews, Bringing Up Baby Is One Whale of a Job
The whales' human curators teach them as well. Twice before, Corky's calves had starved to death because they were unable to locate their mother's mammary glands, which are protectively hidden beneath the body blubber. Andrews speculates that in the wild, a more experienced mother in a small school, or pod, may help the newborn calf locate a first-time mother's mammaries. To prepare Corky for this birth, Andrews and his staffers sought to teach her proper positioning by using a plastic surrogate. Yet when the calf was born June 18, she was unable to find her way to the mammaries. The aquarium now force-feeds the calf four times daily with a gallon of protein-enriched whipping cream formula.
The still-unnamed youngster has an uncertain purchase on life; it will be at least six months before the calf will graduate from the nursing stage. If she survives, she will be the first killer whale to be born and raised in captivity. Andrews and wife Enid have no children, but he is waiting out the danger period with a parent's fears. He doesn't plan to name the newcomer until she is strong enough to survive. "We just shouldn't," he says. "It would be even harder on everyone if..."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!