Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Find Out Which A-List SNL Regular Has Been Elected to Play Donald Trump
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Sen. Marco Rubio Calls for Investigation into the Jetty That Claimed the Lives of José Fernández and Friends
- Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton 'Grossly Incompetent' and Promises Supporters He's 'Going to Get Rid of That Crooked Woman'
- Kate in Cowboy Boots! William and Kate Get Sporty at Mountain Biking Festival in Canada
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 09, 1982
- Vol. 18
- No. 6
Shoe Goo Guru Lyman Van Vliet Cures Tattered Tennis Toes with Sheer Stick-to-Itiveness
The Van Vliets turned their home in ritzy Palos Verdes, Calif. into a goo factory—with Lyman as kitchen chemist, Sandy, 52, as sales manager, daughter Michelle as package designer and younger kids Melissa and Michael as packagers—until a neighbor got upset at the 55-gallon drums of flammable solvent sitting in the driveway. By that time, though, sales of Shoe Goo had grown from the first 22 orders in 1972 to the current gross of almost $2 million (a tube, which will re-tip five pairs of sneakers, sells for $3.25). In 1976 the Van Vliets transferred the operation to a San Pedro factory. Two months later Lyman, a Wayne State grad, quit his job as a physicist at Hughes Aircraft ("Goo luck!" his colleagues saluted him).
"We've been fortunate to ride the crest of two waves—tennis and jogging," Van Vliet says. The family company, Eclectic Products Inc., is expanding, repackaging its goo as Sportsman's Goop (for leaky tents and such) and Shoemaker in a Tube.
Today the Van Vliets each drive Cadillacs (hers with "SHOEGOO" license plates, his with "ECLECTC"). And now, with shoes that take a lot longer to wear out, they can play endless games of tennis on their backyard court, which they've dubbed "the Shoe Goo evaluation laboratory."
September 28, 2016
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!