Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Chandra Levy's Father Distraught After Charges Dropped Against Man He Believes Is Killer: 'We Just Want Closure'
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- Terminally Ill 8-Year-Old Boy Becomes Honorary Marine: 'He's Taught Me Love,' Says Dad
- Remember When Neville Longbottom Got Hot? See Matthew Lewis' Big Transformation Ahead of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
- Blake Shelton Surprises Fans with Free Concert in Kansas City: 'It's Just a Big Party,' Says the Singer
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- February 14, 1983
- Vol. 19
- No. 6
Davilman, 24, and Tassler, 25, who worked at the same Manhattan ad agency, launched their firm—Bittersweet Cards, Inc.—last year. The idea, recalls Barbara, "came out of a need. I was dumped by a guy I'd dated for three months. He stopped calling." She considered writing him a letter, then decided "all that needed to be said I could do in 15 words. So I scribbled, 'I didn't realize the last time we kissed I was being kissed off.' " After she showed her scribbling to Tassler, they stayed up into the wee hours composing more such billets dour. "When they were still funny the next day," says Nina, "I knew we had something."
Within a week they hired an illustrator, Debby Young. In August Nina made the first deliveries to New York stores, using a shopping cart. Three weeks later they had recouped their $10,000 investment. Now their 36-card line is distributed nationally. The cards (price: $1) variously express revenge, reconciliation, apathy and guilt—"all the emotions you go through in a relationship," says Davilman. What about love? "If you want bliss," she advises, "go to Hallmark."
As for her ex-beau, "I did call and ask him to dinner," she admits. "I told him I needed more inspiration for our cards." She then sent him some samples. Alas, they worked all too well: She's never heard from him since.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!