Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Royal #TBT: When Prince Harry First Visited South Africa and Met the Spice Girls
- Read the Cover Story: Adele’s Triumphant Return: How Love Changed Her Life
- VIDEO: Kylie Jenner Opens up About the First Time She Saw Her Dad in Women's Clothing
- Rebel Wilson Says She Doesn't Drink or Smoke: 'Eating Is My One Vice'
- Canadian Brothers Save Bald Eagle from Trap, Get Amazing Selfie in Return
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 17, 1983
- Vol. 20
- No. 16
Oil Heir Gordon Getty Is a Superrich Californian, but His World Isn't Sans Simian
That's Gordon Peter Getty, the richest man in America, according to the latest Forbes magazine tally. The fourth of five sons born to the late oil billionaire J. Paul Getty, Gordon doesn't waste much time clipping coupons. A retiring San Franciscan, he plays down the business of the Getty Oil Company, on whose board he sits and from which he earns about $28 million a year(his share of the family trust amounts to 13 percent of the stock). Instead, Getty, 49, stresses his avocations. He is chairman of the L.S.B. Leakey Foundation, which supports anthropological research, and is a friend of the San Francisco Zoo (where a visit last year produced this photograph).
But Getty's true love is music. He sings opera (last May he appeared with the Marin Symphony Youth Orchestra) and spends his summers in the cultural jet-stream, touring European music festivals with his wife, Ann, and their four sons. (This year in Salzburg they rented two houses to accommodate friends.) Apparently, opera is a passion that can override mere decorum: When the couple throw parties in their mansion overlooking San Francisco Bay, Getty sometimes leaves the hosting to his wife and dines instead with records in the soundproof music room.
November 26, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!