Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- DWTS Winner Nyle DiMarco Brought to Tears After Carrie Ann Inaba Signs to Him: 'Thank You for Showing Us Your Beautiful Heart'
- Read the Cover Story: Céline Dion: 'I Lost the Love of My Life'
- Austin Hatch, Survivor of Two Separate Plane Crashes That Killed His Family, Speaks Out: 'You Have to Be Tough’
- WATCH: What Made Brett Eldredge Laugh So Hard He Cried?
- Bill Cosby Accuser Jennifer Thompson's Painful Account of Alleged Assault: 'Those I'm Helping Most are the Ones Still Silently Suffering'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 24, 1983
- Vol. 20
- No. 17
Jimmy Carter Raises Cane and Cash as He Puts His Chairs on the Block for His Library
Some thought the morning auction should have been held at night. "People buy better over cocktails than after bacon-and-egg breakfasts," noted a Sotheby employee. Still, two unidentified buyers shelled out $41,000 for the Carter chairs, which came with down-home scrapbooks documenting their making (Rosalynn helped weave the bark seats). The photos were annotated in Jimmy's own hand. Confiding that he had "dreaded" raising funds for his library, Carter spoke at length about his "lifetime hobby."
"Working with wood is like a vacation for me," he said, describing his use of drawknives and other "primitive tools" to assemble the chairs without a nail or screw. Explaining such arcana as slat-bending and the relation between seasonal sap flow and the ease of bark removal, Jimmy held most of his audience rapt. But you can't please everybody. Groused one neck-craning gala guest, "Gee, if this were Reagan, Frank Sinatra would be here."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!