Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- 20 Creative Thanksgiving Leftovers Recipes
- Read the Cover Story: Adele’s Triumphant Return: How Love Changed Her Life
- After One Twin Brother Collapses, the Other Discovers They Share a Rare and Often-Fatal Heart Defect: 'God Saved Both of Our Lives'
- Pamela Anderson's Vegan Boots Are Made Out of Recycled TV Screens: 'They're Compassionate and Sexy'
- Pope Francis Visits Refugee Camp in War-Torn African Nation as a 'Pilgrim of Peace'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 24, 1983
- Vol. 20
- No. 17
Jimmy Carter Raises Cane and Cash as He Puts His Chairs on the Block for His Library
Some thought the morning auction should have been held at night. "People buy better over cocktails than after bacon-and-egg breakfasts," noted a Sotheby employee. Still, two unidentified buyers shelled out $41,000 for the Carter chairs, which came with down-home scrapbooks documenting their making (Rosalynn helped weave the bark seats). The photos were annotated in Jimmy's own hand. Confiding that he had "dreaded" raising funds for his library, Carter spoke at length about his "lifetime hobby."
"Working with wood is like a vacation for me," he said, describing his use of drawknives and other "primitive tools" to assemble the chairs without a nail or screw. Explaining such arcana as slat-bending and the relation between seasonal sap flow and the ease of bark removal, Jimmy held most of his audience rapt. But you can't please everybody. Groused one neck-craning gala guest, "Gee, if this were Reagan, Frank Sinatra would be here."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!