Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Happy Birthday, Jennifer Aniston! The Newlywed Says She 'Might Just Quietly Celebrate' This Year
- Read the Cover Story: Ryan Reynolds: Sexiest Dad Alive
- Gwyneth Paltrow Is at Peace with Aging: 'I Feel More Beautiful Now Than I Did 20 Years Ago'
- Bye bye, Blondie! Diane Kruger Is Now a Brunette
- Missouri Man and His Family Deliver Red Roses to Widows on Valentine's Day: 'It's Important to Bring Them a Hug'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 10, 1985
- Vol. 23
- No. 23
A Dentist and a Detective Chip in to Develop a Micro Tooth I.d.
Desperation was their motivation. Conover, a Pekin police detective for 11 years, has come across the remains of many child victims who are never identified. Maxwell, a forensic dental consultant, has often been stumped by the fact that "dentistry has improved so much that many children no longer require tooth restorations. So their dental charts are often identical to each other, and one of every two people never goes to a dentist."
The secret behind the I.D. chip, Maxwell says, is "the new plastics that have come out of NASA research that make it possible to rebuild the teeth." (The bonding agent was developed by NASA to attach tiles to the space shuttle.) The tooth I.D., which has been affixed to more than 5,000 patients in all 50 states, has the support of the American Dental Association, which editorialized, "Everybody wins."
Adds Maxwell, "The main reason I did this is because I'm a father. My son at age 5 looks nothing like he did at age 2. Had he disappeared then, there's no way he could have been identified."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!