Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Find Out What Joe Jonas Has to say About Exes Taylor, Demi and Gigi on WWHL's Plead the Fifth!
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- Melanie Griffith on Being 'Introspective' and 'Totally Curious' About Her New Path in Life
- Oprah Winfrey, Kelly Clarkson, Kerry Washington and More React to Hillary Clinton's Nomination on Twitter
- Pretty Little Liars Star Troian Bellisario Doesn't Want Any Part of the Taylor vs. Kim Feud: 'I Would Choose the Green Party'
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 29, 1985
- Vol. 24
- No. 5
Here's to Gay Mullins, Who Gave His All for the Real Thing—but Hey, Gay, Why Stop with Coke?
Imagine his delight then on that glorious Thursday afternoon when Coke President Donald Keough announced the old Coke's return. Said Mullins, broke but vindicated: "The experience has been worth the cost. We had power way beyond our expectations."
We can learn from this man. Now that Coke's been rescued, let's make them give back the other good, true things left behind by the march of time. On the following pages are some of the things we want back. Now.
1 DOUBLE FEATURES
Not to mention drive-ins, and fresh popcorn from real poppers.
2 FULL-SERVICE STATIONS
Fill 'er up. Get the windows. Check the oil and tires.
3 THE OLD SODA FOUNTAIN
Crazy sundaes, malts and the pleasures of innocence.
4 THE VOLKSWAGEN BUG
It still floats, and the Japanese Beetle is no substitute.
5 MA BELL
Now you can reach out and touch someone you didn't even dial.
6 UNCLE WALTER
Sorry, Dan, but that's the way it is.
Pullmans and real dining cars, whistles in the night.
8 BIG TOPS
The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd.
9 MILKMEN And their funny trucks, and milk bottles and cream at the top.
10 FRONT PORCHES
Rocking chairs, lemonade, street life without muggings.
•Free road maps
•Doctors' house calls
•Name prefixes for phone numbers
•The old Book of Common Prayer
•The 70-mph speed limit
•The Democratic Party
•The Latin Mass
•A world without ZIP codes and designated hitters
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!