Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Chandra Levy's Father Distraught After Charges Dropped Against Man He Believes Is Killer: 'We Just Want Closure'
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- Terminally Ill 8-Year-Old Boy Becomes Honorary Marine: 'He's Taught Me Love,' Says Dad
- Remember When Neville Longbottom Got Hot? See Matthew Lewis' Big Transformation Ahead of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
- Blake Shelton Surprises Fans with Free Concert in Kansas City: 'It's Just a Big Party,' Says the Singer
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 28, 1985
- Vol. 23
- No. 18
Milton Levine Is Anty-Establishment: He's Been King of the Hill Since Inventing the Ant Farm 30 Years Ago
Ant Farms include a booklet on proper ant care and can be found (minus the ants, which are shipped separately) in toy stores, pet shops and even in the Smithsonian Institution. Nowadays the enclosed structure is made of two pieces of high impact plastic held together by a plastic frame, but Levine still uses harvester ants "because they work in the daylight." His small model (6"x9",½" deep, with about 30 ants) costs about $7.95 while the giant size (10"x15",¾" deep, 45 ants) goes for $17.95. A lot of buyers are kids doing science projects, but Levine's fans also include such celebs as Sally Field and Henny Youngman.
Levine's ant mania dates to his youth in Pittsburgh, when he collected them on his uncle's farm, stuck them in sand in mason jars and watched them work. After serving in the Army he started a mail-order business around 1949 and added Ant Farms to his list seven years later. You might think he'd be sick of his specialized trade by now, but perseverance is another thing ants have taught him. "An ant is predestined before she's hatched to be something all her life—nursemaid, farmer, even a pallbearer," Uncle Milty says. "She doesn't change occupation."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!