Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- WATCH: Verne Troyer Opens Up About Being Called the M-Word As a Child – and How He Physically Defended Himself Against a Bully
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Refugee Killed by California Police Allegedly Drew Vape Device During 'Mental Emergency'
- Final Five Reunite for Glam Appearance at U.S. Olympic Committee Awards Show
- Lady Gaga Confirms She's Headlining the 2017 Super Bowl's Halftime Show: 'It's Not an Illusion'!
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 16, 1985
- Vol. 24
- No. 25
Picks and Pans Review: The Little, Brown Book of Anecdotes
More than 4,000 vignettes are collected in this volume, which is tailor-made for speech writers in search of the right story for a special occasion or for those who enjoy browsing among quotes from our brightest wordsmiths. There are dazzling insults, such as, "When the filming of A Bill of Divorcement was complete, Katharine Hepburn turned to co-star John Barrymore, saying, 'Thank God I don't have to act with you anymore!' " He replied, "I didn't know you ever had, darling." There is the ironic twist: "[Jean] Cocteau was once asked if he believed in luck. 'Of course,' he replied. 'How else do you explain the success of those you don't like?' " There is the faintly ribald: "The novelist Fannie Hurst wanted to surprise FDR with the change in her appearance since she had been on a diet. She managed to slip unannounced into his office. The President looked up as she entered, then gestured for her to turn around in front of him. When she completed the turn, he commented, 'The Hurst may have changed, but it's the same old fanny' " And there is the pathetic: "As Pancho Villa lay dying, his last words were, 'Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something.' " (Little, Brown, $29.95)
- Ralph Novak,
- Campbell Geeslin,
- Eric Levin.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!