Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,178 covers and 55,102 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Need a Laugh? Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara Will Have You Cracking Up
- The Style Top 5: Cara Delevingne Gets Handsy With Her BFFs, Kim Kardashian's Unique Way of Thanking Her Fans and More
- Here's What Taylor Swift Has to Say About Those Katy Perry Rumors
- One Dad, Four Newborns: Father of Quadruplets Cares for Babies After Wife's Tragic Death
- From TIME: 21 Things You (Maybe) Didn't Know About Justin Bieber
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 16, 1985
- Vol. 24
- No. 25
Talking Teddy Ruxpin Makes a Honey of a Toy—if You Can Track Him Down
Say hello, if you can, to Teddy Ruxpin, the first mass-produced, automated, talking toy. His mouth, eyes and nose are programmed to move while he sings or tells stories. The sound comes from a cassette player built into his back; 13 other cassettes, about friendship, bravery and other subjects, are available. Ruxpin was introduced to retailers last spring, without much hoopla. Now Worlds of Wonder, which makes Teddy in Hong Kong, can't keep up with the sudden demand. "It's scary," says company chairman Donald Kingsborough, 38. "There was no way to predict we'd grow this fast."
Well, there was, if everybody had been smarter. Teddy appeals to many, if not all, ages. Jordan Marsh in Miami's Omni International Mall had to replace its floor-sample bear because he had lipstick all over his face. Ruxpin sells from $60 to $100, but "it's worth it," admits a Chicago woman who bought one for her son, "because I don't have time to sit down and read to him."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!